Welcome...

"It's ALL HAPPENING!"- Almost Famous

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The One Year Itch


"Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina." -Ron Burgundy, Anchorman


Since I got a taste of leaving San Diego back in 2007, I have had a hard time settling down in one place. Since '07 I have lived in LA for a year and half, San Diego for another year and half, and now I've been living here in NY for a year. I'm beginning to get that itch again. I long to be back in San Diego with my family, my little Roxy, my Gf's and Bf's, and everything that defines and is SoCal. Although, I must admit that I don't know if my nostalgia stems from the fact that I've been having a hard time for the past 2-3 weeks nailing down an apartment in Bushwick (the neighborhood that I've grown to love for all it is and all it is not).

Apple-G realty has given both, my roommate and I, a very hard time in securing the apartment. I have already given a $560 deposit, and my roommate has already given them $170 for the application process. Our parents are co-signers and they have requested everything and anything imaginable to make sure that we will be suitable candidates for their luxurious apartment complex. The amenities are off the chain: central air, doorman, rooftop access, laundry on-site, recreation center, and etc. OFF THE CHAIN, I tell you. But at this point, I rather just move on and secure an apartment else where before September 1st, since my apartment has already been rented (smh). I will be homeless! YES! HOMELESS!!!

Nevertheless, the itch has returned. NY is a tough city. No doubt about that. It's abusive and ungrateful for all that you do for it. Cali on the other hand, always treated me with respect. Uncertainty gives me a stomach ache. I don't know what direction to take...even in regards to jobs. I'm contemplating pursuing a job in the corporate world, or sticking to teaching (familiar territory)? I wish someone would just tell me what to do! And will I, also, be returning to SD (or Cali in general) or will I go somewhere else, or will I stay in NY!? I DON'T KNOW!

Maybe September will give me a clearer perspective. Maybe I just need to go to the Cape Labor Day Weekend with the girls at the end of the month? Maybe, I should finish my paper that's due tomorrow!? Or maybe...I should just suck it up and quit being such a freaking baby about everything!?

This next semester I will be D-O-N-E with my units for my degree. After that, I will only need to finish writing my thesis. I'm registered for a Thesis writing course, and a Methods of Interpreting Popular Culture with prof. Marita Sturken (former USC professor, now the chair of our department...looking for a recommendation letter...PhD at USC...MAYBE!). Other projects are in the works. I'll be attending 3 conferences this semester as well, meaning that I'll be traveling quite a bit. Might be catching a Charger game with Stud Muff in Denver come October. I'll be going to Mazatlan for a wedding with my Nino late October also... It'll be a busy semester.

I gotta find a hobby/job, STAT.

-t

No comments:

Post a Comment